Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Very Busy Holiday

   This week was challenging both emotional and physically. I was struggling to
move on with all the medical problems I have had. The thoughts about my medical
problems would come and go during the day.
 
   The holidays are normally a busy time in my life. None of our Christmas shopping
was done, and Christmas is just around the corner.

Monday: I was loopy and can't remember what I did that day.

Tuesday: Tuesday was the same, and its hard to remember what I did then too.

Wednesday: I went to Marshfield, Wisconsin to see my urologist for an ulcerated
bladder which has been an ongoing problem. This condition raises my chance of
bladder cancer by 25%; three of my uncles have passed away from this previously.
 
   Since I am on dialysis I don't make urine. It is taken out of me during the process.
But I started to pass blood and had some pelvic pain. After the holidays I am going
to the hospital for biopsies of my bladder. Hopefully nothing serious will show up.

Thursday: I was hospitalized. It was for an accidental over dose of my short acting
insulin. I take 40 units of long acting insulin that last 24 hours and usually 5 units of
short acting insulin after a meal. I had just finished breakfast and was trying to figure
out how many units I needed. I needed 4 units of the short acting insulin but by
accident took 40 units thinking of the long acting insulin.
 
   My husband Jim realized my mistake and I was quickly rushed to the hospital.
I drank pop and ate blueberry muffins on the way to counter act the insulin. The
insulin made me very loopy. Jim had to keep telling me to drink and eat.
 
   At the hospital they stabilized my blood sugar, did immediate dialysis, and the
rest of the day is hard to remember. During this time my sister Dawn had a baby
boy named Cooper. The birth happened quickly with some complications and
added to the stress.

Friday: I was still in the hospital. The stay went by in a blur. 

Saturday: I went to dialysis to try to get rid of a lot of toxins that have built up
over the week. After dialysis we were able to finish Christmas shopping.

Sunday: I worked on this blog post and watched the Packer game.

   Hopefully next week will be better. My son, Andrew, is coming home on
Monday and we are all very excited to see him. There is also a Christmas get
together that I am looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment